Fraser Whiting’s Undergraduate Degree Show 2022 [Install Images + Press Release]
31 May – 12 June
We are proud to introduce Fraser Whiting’s first show with The Gallery.
Whiting is drawing together objects and artefacts that refer to the display mechanisms of
spaces beyond the art institution, whilst critiquing those within it and what constitutes art.
To write about Fraser’s work is to inhabit these contexts and therefore be subsumed into
this meta-consultation with the viewing space and the act of assertion that is calling
Removing original contexts is a part of Whiting’s process – and so the coconut drink and
calendar are placed out of reach. Plinth-hood is doctrine.
Chroma is important to this exhibition too and Whiting’s paintings allude to subtle
selections, such as off-white. In this vein an academic approach to the activity of painting
also incorporates a trip to Wickes. These works are at once critiques of Modernism, colour
swatches and a foray into retail. The show is both trade fair and high art, with Whitings
paintings cradling objects and shelving that propose our consumership. To engage with
Whiting’s work is to code-switch.
In 1969, Mierle Laderman Ukeles wrote the Maintenance Art Manifesto, in which she
described development as ‘pure individual creation’ and maintenance as keeping ‘the
dust off the pure individual creation.’
This press release is available in multiple fonts on application. Please submit your request,
stating your preferred font family, in no more than 1000 words.
Outsourcing is a common practice of contracting out business functions and processes to third-party providers. There are many reasons a company/business/individual may want to outsource a particular job, process, or task.
This press release has been outsourced for several reasons:
– When a service is outsourced it allows for the ability to share risks and split responsibilities associated with the service.
– Outsourcing certain tasks to skilled labourers which know the complexities of their field will allow the completion of the task to run smooth.
– Outsourcing allows more time and resources to focus on other aspects of an arts practice, while still meeting the expectations of a viewer in an exhibition space.
The above press release has been outsourced to Dr Zoë Mendelson by Fraser Whiting with the short criteria listed below:
– Minimum 200 words. No maximum word count.
– To be sent as a Word file or PDF.
– No restrictions on what form or content the press release may be.